Social Isolation and Loneliness . . .
Social Isolation and Loneliness in Telford & Wrekin
This week is national Loneliness Awareness Week 15 – 19 June. Last year, Telford & Wrekin Council ran a successful campaign #TelfordTalksLoneliness to help tackle social isolation and loneliness at a local level. This year, the Department of Culture Media and Sport (DCMS) are asking us to ‘lend our voice’ to this important public health matter.
The National focus fits completely with what is happening at a local level. The DCMS have identified three tangible actions for anyone feeling lonely and three actions for people wanting to help!
If you are lonely you can:
- Keep in touch with friends, family and neighbours
- Ask for help if you need shopping, medicine or are feeling lonely
- Set a routine with online activities, regular tasks or by volunteering
If you are worried about someone who is lonely:
- Phone a friend or send a letter to a family member you think may be lonely*
- Smile, wave or chat from a safe distance with a neighbour
- Help out through volunteering by picking up food, medicine or by offering regular conversation to someone living alone
* A collaboration with the Post Office and Royal Mail will highlight the importance of sending letters and cards to isolated loved ones during Loneliness Awareness Week, alongside a bespoke Let’s Talk Loneliness postmark which will be printed across all mail distributed by Royal Mail until the 19 June.
Additionally, if we have any close relationships with celebrities or influencers, it would be great if we could help the DCMS amplify LAW, by asking them to get behind the campaign, using the suggested post:
“It’s ok to feel lonely, especially at a time like this. Now more than ever, a little distance can bring us all closer together. So reach out, especially to those who may be feeling lonely. #Let’sTalkLoneliness”
For further information see LetsTalkLoneliness.co.uk
Following on from the successful #TelfordTalksLoneliness campaign, Public Health are using Loneliness Awareness Week to:
- Raise awareness of the issue
- Showcase some of the great work that is going on in our Borough
- Send a call to action and provide a platform for people/organisations to share what they are doing
- To highlight how people can get involved and
- Generally provide a platform for people to share their thoughts on this matter
This will be delivered through our Healthy Telford social media platforms – Twitter and Facebook @HealthyTF under the campaign #TelfordTalksLoneliness. Don’t forget to use the #
Throughout Loneliness Awareness Week (15 – 19 June) we will be:
- Linking with VCSE groups and organisations who are tackling Loneliness at local level and doing great work i.e. Telford & Wrekin Youth Forum, T&W CVS
- Highlighting information and work of national organisations around this health matter
- Highlighting programmes in the community that help to reduce Loneliness e.g. Community Connectors, Feed the Birds
- Contacting our Loneliness Champions to say Hello, check in with how they are doing and if they are continuing to connect with others
- Promoting simple ways we can all make a difference to help others feel more connected i.e. by sending a letter or a card.
Follow what’s happening on Twitter @HealthyTF. Search for all that has been tweeted by using the #TelfordTalksLoneliness. Share anything you are aware of that helps us Tackle Loneliness Together in Telford. If you have any suggestions please don’t hesitate to contact me: firstname.lastname@example.org