Madeley Wood Colliery, 1879

The Nine Men of Madeley Community Play

To commemorate the 150th anniversary of the Nine Men of Madeley disaster, a local Madeley resident, Alison Vermee, wrote a play that was performed by a cast of local people. The performances took place on Saturday 27th September 2014 at St Michael’s Church, Madeley.

At the same time, a new ‘Nine Men’ trail leaflet was launched. This trail starts at St Michael’s Church and guides walkers past the site of the pit and down into Ironbridge, taking in the buildings that would have been significant in the lives and deaths of the miners. Plaques have been erected on key buildings such as the former George & Dragon pub, the original workhouse and the original ‘Green School’.

More detailed information about the project and the lives of our Victorian ancestors is available through the accompanying website www.ninemen.org which contains a wealth of background material on living and working conditions of the time and the human cost behind the generation of wealth.

The project was funded by a Heritage Lottery Fund grant of £16,200, together with a small contribution of £1,500 from Madeley Town Council.

Download a copy of the trail leaflet here.

9_men_of_madeley_-_community_play_[27-09-14]_(43)